Empathise with your target personas
Empathy: [noun] the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
Understanding your target customers is one of the most important things you can do for your business and social media management.
- Who do you want to read and value your content?
- What content would best suit our goal and their interests?
- What drives their interest? What motivates their purchasing cycle?
- What challenges do they face? What answers are they looking for?
- Who do they already respect, admire and listen to?
Define your target persona/s in a document. Let everyone in your business know exactly who it is you're looking for and what they are looking for. Download a template persona document here: http://offers.hubspot.com/free-template-creating-buyer-personas
Personas help your organisation understand and empathise with your prospective customers. Defining and documenting them will make it easier for you to craft content that matches their specific needs and challenges. If you have the time and budget invest in market research (surveys, interviews) as this will provide you with the strongest possible insight into your target personas.
If you're short on time, then the good old stereotype is better than nothing. Your business is probably going to have a number of target personas, but rather than getting carried away, keep their numbers small and be as specific as possible. You can always add others in the future. The four key questions we need to define are:
- How can your service or products make their life easier?
- What are their day-to-day challenges that your product/service tackle?
- What social media channels are they likely to be on?
- Who do they already listen to, respect and admire on-line?
By going through this process, we now know what benefits we need to draw their attention to and of specific importance, who we need to endorse your content.