Reach; The potential audience for a message posted based on existing follower numbers and engagement variables.
Engagement; The act of someone sharing, forwarding, retweeting or posting brand content.
Why is engagement so important?
When someone interacts (shares) your social media post, that accounts followers are notified, meaning that your content can start to go 'viral'. If we can stimulate engagement in your social media posts then your message can be heard by a much bigger audience.
Unless you already have a huge following on social media, the only way to achieve mass awareness of your business is to leverage the popularity of others. By understanding your businesses buyer personas, we should be able to identify who they listen to.
These are often referred to as influencers: people or organisations who already have a large and loyal following who listen to them. Convince influencers to endorse your content to reach out to a significantly larger volume of potential clients. A typical but fairly obvious influencer to B2B markets would be your local chamber of commerce. Often followed by a significant proportion of the local business community, a re-tweet from your chamber of commerce can propel your content to a much bigger audience.
There are plenty of online tools available to help you identify influencers, such as:
- Little Bird
An example of how engaging with your audience and influencers would be as follows:
- Karen has 100 followers on Twitter
- Karen's built a list of 10 influencers and has been schmoozing with them for several months
- Karen's local chamber of commerce, who have 17,000 followers re-tweets her post
- Rather then just 100 people seeing her post, Karen's post has the potential of being viewed by 17,100 people
- Going on a 20% rate of people seeing the post, we estimate that the post would be seen by 3,500 people.
You can see from this example, that getting others, especially those that your target buyer personas already listen to, is a fast track way of getting your content seen by bigger numbers.